Friday 31 March 2017

My 1st grader is apparently failing?


Okay I don't know where to start. My 7 year old DD just got her report card today. She's never done particularly well in school, but this report card has been a real shocker. She's been with us since right before the start of kindergarten (she is our adopted niece), and didn't even know her colors or how to count to 10 consistently so I always anticipated she would need awhile to catch up. Behavior wise and socially she is thriving and perfect and to be honest I thought we were making real headway with her schooling. She was placed in a K/1 combo this year (which I was told was not due to her skills, but come on), and she moves between her regular and math teacher. So her report card. It's bad. A lot of 1s, some 2s (1-4, 3 = met standard), and a stack of failed math tests. She has nightly HW that we do, and she does well. We read daily, and she reads well in my opinion. She isn't ready for independent easy chapter books, but I would have said she was where she was supposed to be. It says she reads at an 8, and needs to be at a 16. I would have assessed her at a 12 solidly, and am confused. Same with math. I know she's taking awhile to get some of the concepts to click and I work with her. We have worksheets and those 10 frame block things, and what not. She does her homework easily, so if she is doing bad how am I to know until report card time?I'm not trying to argue the teachers assessment, but I am at a loss on what more to do. I mean, I work with her about an hour after school daily. That includes her reading (with me to guide). And up until right now, I was so proud of her improvement and thought everything was okay. So what do I do? How to I work with her exactly. Last conferences I had said just work with her more? That's not enough of a guide apparently so yeah. What does that mean, work with her more on WHAT AND HOW.She has been doing soccer for the past few months 4x a week after school and I've seen such an improvement in her overall behavior/focus/everything, and now my husband wants to take her down to 2x/wk so she can focus on her studies. How does everyone balance school needs and a kids need to run around and burn their energy?Also, her bedtime is 7:30 - is that too early? Does she need more time in her day? She wakes at 7.Please help. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ojwxoW

No comments:

Post a Comment