Thursday 30 March 2017

How can I help my kid navigate the bigotry she encounters without ignoring it or getting swept up in it?


I thought this article from cracked was actually quite brilliant. It's tongue-in-cheek, but, I think the author is really on to something.Specifically, the author approaches the question of how to speak to kids about LGBTQIA representation in movies. I'll let you read it, but, it was a refreshing turn-about that resonated deeply with me.I happen to live in an area that has a large percentage of wealthy residents, and many of them tend to be conservative. Over the past year, I often find myself having to correct my younger kids (10 and 9) when they come home from school talking about things they've heard their friends say (e.g. "Hillary Clinton stole from the American people.") It's fairly easy to deal with this; I simply tell them the truth and explain that their friends or their parents must be mistaken.However, I also frequently have to help my 14 year old daughter figure out how to deal with bigotry from kids at her school (e.g. "It wasn't bad that Trump grabbed women's p****** because he's famous," and "Homeless people need to stop whining and get jobs.") She's a really precocious kid, I mean, she's more aware of US politics and societal issues than I was at 25. She's also an excellent student, has close friends, participates in extracurricular activities, etc. But, figuring out how to respond to the bigotry and disinformation she encounters has been a real struggle for her. The problem is not that she feels offended per se, but rather that she feels obligated to point out the truth. More than once she has come home in tears because of this.I am trying to help her find a balance between calling her peers out when they say these sorts of things on the one hand, but not being overly combatative or didactic on the other. So far, we've had mixed success. Sometimes I'm tempted to tell her to just stay away from kids who say that kind of stuff when she can and ignore them otherwise. But, I deeply respect her desire to speak out against lies and biases that cause people to suffer, and I don't want her passion to be deflated at such a young age.As I mentioned, I really like the approach taken by the author in the article linked above. But, I was wondering if any of you have had success in helping your kids navigate the "sociopolitical climate" in their young peer groups. I'd welcome and appreciate any tips. Thanks. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2oDH2QH

No comments:

Post a Comment