Tuesday 28 March 2017

Am I letting my daughter stay over at her dads' too often?


Hey r/parenting!My husband and I split up almost 4 months ago due to my finding out about some major transgressions upon looking through this phone. Despite him doing some very disrespectful things, I managed to ensure the break up was handled maturely and the children (now 9 months and 3.5 years) weren't exposed to any conflict whatsoever.I never kept the children from him or vice versa and now that we're settling into a routine I have a few questions;Typically, he takes our 3.5 year old every Saturday night and spends most of the day with her Saturday and Sunday. And if he ever wants to come over through the week he's always welcome to and he generally will pop in once or twice or we'll have a family dinner out.Lately my daughter has been asking to go to dad's house when he is here or asks to stay an extra night on Sunday night when she is already there. I have so far always allowed her to do that so long as there wasn't a legitimate reason why she needed to be home. I figured it was my way of showing her that although her dad isn't home anymore, he is still available to her 100% when she needs him.However the more I read about how crucial consistency is for children in a broken home I worried that this will have an opposite effect on her.What are your thoughts?She views our home as her "home" and daddy's house as a fun place to see her dad. So far she does not identify with having two homes.I appreciate any input.Edit: apologies for the title gore. Misplaced apostrophe. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nqHPon

No comments:

Post a Comment