Friday 31 March 2017

Childcare teacher overstepping?


This is a new school and we have only been attending here for a month therefore we have not really established a relationship with his teachers yet. Today my 3 year old had an accident at the table during lunchtime. He has not had this happen since he was first getting potty trained(age2)and it is really out of character for him. I walked in today to pick him up and he calmly walks over from the story time carpet. The teacher then proceeds to stop story time and inform me in front of the whole class that he had an accident and didn't even try to make it to the bathroom. I said that's very odd as I turned to him he clammed up real quick and was super embarrassed. Trying not to make it a big deal I patted him on the head and said "no worries little man accidents happen". Proceeded to walk out and get the kids in the truck. While driving home my son begins to talk about The whole thing saying his teacher was very mad at him and "poked him in the tummy" and said he peed on the ground like a dog and something about he should be tied to a tree..... he also said she made him clean it up himself. So at this point I'm calmly trying to extract as much information about who what and when while also trying to make it not seem like a big deal bc he was already super embarrassed and bummed out.Mind you now he's three years old has a pretty good handle on talking can be somewhat dramatic but has never really "invented" stories before. So we returned back to the school with my wife and I went straight to administration only bc the teacher still had a class full of kids and as previously stated we don't really have a relationship built yet. I very calmly stated that I was informed of the situation and I was not casting accusations but that he had been saying some troubling stuff about it. We asked if we could see security camera footage to establish how much of his story was true and how much was embellished bc this is all very new territory for us. They declined and said it was a privacy issue. We were told that they would address the teacher and then admin would follow up with us. We said thank you and began to leave and I said I hope we don't have to worry about retaliation and we were assured that their teachers would never.... I honestly want to believe my kid for obvious reasons but I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out how or why he'd come up with such an elaborate story. Any advice is welcome! For now I have to try and talk him into going back tomorrow bc he's super bummed and ashamed. He's convinced that his teacher is mad at him no matter how many times I tell him that accidents happen especially at 3 years old. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nmkkeM

No comments:

Post a Comment