Monday 27 March 2017

Advice about leaving my 9 1/2 year old home alone?


I'd like to get some insight from other parents on this situation. My daughter is 9 1/2. I'm wondering if this is too young to be left home alone for a couple of hours after school?Obviously the child's maturity and personality are a factor, so I will give some more details. My daughter is a pretty good kid. She can be a whiner but, other than that, she doesn't really cause trouble. I have left her home alone for an hour or so before while I ran to the store with the rules: Stay inside. Don't open the door for anyone. Don't even go to look if someone knocks. Pretend nobody knocked. Keep the doors locked. If there is a fire, go out front and call 911. I have never had any problems doing this before.She has a phone. It's not in service, but I did get her an app to be able to call and text through WiFi. So, if she needed to get in touch with me or her stepfather or father, she is able to. She is pretty independent and would be able to get her own snacks, but knows not to use the stove. She also has her own house key, but our doors are kind of tricky to lock and unlock, so that is something we would have to practice.We live in a small apartment complex in a pretty safe area. It's not where the doctors and lawyers live, but it's not "the ghetto". Our neighbors are quiet and friendly, and we never seem to have problems with break-ins or violent crimes in the area.The reason I ask is that I may be taking a job where I will work Mon-Fri from roughly 8am-5:30 or 6pm. She gets off the bus from school between 3:15-3:30. My boyfriend works until 5pm and is usually home no later than 5:45. The school offers before/after care through the YMCA but you have to register before school starts, so we can't do that right now. I plan on doing it next year if I accept this job, though. I also have someone to watch her during the summer, but they can't do before/after care since their kids go to a different school.So, those are the details. I remember being left home alone when I was around her age and it was never a problem, but I also lived in a very small town. On the one hand I feel that she is mature enough for this but, on the other, I'm such a nervous person that I can't help think of everything that could go wrong and worry, worry, worry.Also, we live in Indiana and there are no laws stating how old a child must be before they can be left home. It's up to the parents' discretion.So...what do you guys think? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2n9wYOH

No comments:

Post a Comment