Tuesday 28 March 2017

I think I parented right in regards to the "no means no" issue.


I've been pretty strict about the whole "private space" and "no means no" with my kids. The second they say no, I don't force anything onto them or I just stop what I'm doing. It's often really silly like "Stop tickling me" or "I don't want to eat that, no" or "I don't want to kiss grandma." It's pretty basic. I just really want to show my kids that there is always a limit and that when someone says no, well... it's no. No point in forcing it.So my kids were playing in those indoor parks last night, and an older kid kept chasing my daughter, just to play tag and whatnot and she found it funny at first, but he was being a bit rough and she wasn't really into it anymore or she just wanted to play something else. So she told him "I don't want to play anymore." He kept chasing her, didn't leave her alone and just kept bothering her and "tagging her." I'm a big believer in the whole "just let them deal with it" unless they're in danger, so my son who has been playing elsewhere heard his sister say "No, I don't want to play" for the 5th time or so and he jumps in.He just tells the older kid "look, my sister said no, and no means no, so maybe find someone to play with, ok?" The kid kinda gave him a stare and said "well do you want to play?" to which my kid said "ok but only for a bit." And that was awesome, I mean, I was pretty happy with it. Then, when my son was done playing and all kids moved onto something else, the older kid was getting bothered by some other kid, he obviously wasn't into the idea of playing with him and he just said to the other kid "I don't want to play, I said no, why don't you go find someone else to play with?"That a boy! Kids teach kids, I wish more kids were taught the whole "no means stop" kind of thing, but I'm really proud that my kids deal with it very well. I feel like they're just ready to go out and deal with other kids without me being worried about them not standing up for themselves. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2odmuz0

No comments:

Post a Comment