Sunday 26 March 2017

Adult child still acts emotionally immature?


I have a 20 year old daughter who is currently in college, living away from home. She is studying engineering, doing very well and I’m very proud of her. However, I’m worried about how she will survive in the future due to her personality. She still acts very emotionally immature and will panic and call me crying over the smallest issues. I can’t go a week without her calling me in tears over some kind of problem - an embarrassing moment that happened to her, a bad grade on an exam, etc. I think she may depend on me to help calm her down and her first instinct whenever she's upset is to call me. She gets very easily upset over things that aren’t that important and gets angry very easily as well. She has severe anxiety and she is taking medication for it and has seen a therapist in the past. Every time someone gets the slightest bit upset with her, or if she is put on the spot and becomes nervous, her first reaction is to cry. She has cried in job interviews, in front of her friends and in her classes. I’m worried about how this immature behavior will affect her in her career. She has told me multiple times that she cannot help it. Besides these issues, she is a wonderful person who has lots of friends and people who love her. Is there another more serious issue that could be going on that I’m not seeing, or is this normal? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2o6xlui

No comments:

Post a Comment