Thursday 30 March 2017

I got to do the Heimlich yesterday


If you have ever doubted the value of repeated, sometimes annual, first aid training, this story is for you...Wife is running late. Kids are losing their shit so I had to get dinner on the table. It's leftover night and they didn't like what we had last night, so chicken nuggets and canned carrots it is . Get the food to the table, head back to the kitchen to nuke my dinner. It gets quiet as they chow, but I start to hear gurgling sounds, it's a sound I have never heard a human make before. I look over, my oldest is acting like he is going to toss his cookies so I run him to the bathroom.I get him in front of the toilet and realize he isn't breathing. I Slap him on the back a few time but nothing happens. On the third thrust of the old Heimlich maneuver, out pops half a chicken nugget, followed by a gasp and a whale.Wife gets home a few seconds later, says I'm white as a ghost, and ask what happened. All those years of first responder and CPR training instantly became some of the valuable training I have ever received.The kid is ok, I think it was harder on me than it was him. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nnCYnp

No comments:

Post a Comment