Tuesday 27 August 2019

Teaching consent when lines get blurred. Do you ask your spouse if you can hug or kiss them every time? Do you expect your kids to when they are dating? Are spontaneous hugs ever okay?


Like most parents we have been talking about consent for a long time. Since they were toddlers. The lines never got blurred with my oldest. I always insisted that you either have consent or you don't. She had a problem with her boyfriend where she felt like he was pressuring her to have sex before she was ready and she talked to her boyfriend about it. I have always believed in honesty with my kids.My middle started dating. I wouldn't even call it that but he does. Because of this we had another chat about sex. It was light and casual. He said his health teacher last year told them that they need to always ask for consent. I agreed. He said that you need to ask for consent before every hug or kiss even if you are dating. I lightly agreed.To be honest, I don't ask for consent every time I kiss or hug my husband. My youngest didn't ask for consent when he hugged his pitcher after he caught the last strike. My middle son's friends don't ask for permission when they give him a tap of the bum after scoring a goal in lacrosse. My daughter didn't ask for consent when she hugged her brothers before leaving for college. One barely looked up from the computer screen so he wasn't even prepared for it.Are we screwing our kids up? Am I giving my teen wrong ideas about consent? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2L86zhC

No comments:

Post a Comment