Tuesday 27 August 2019

How does your daycare handle temper tantrums?


Yesterday when I was picking my 3.5 year old up from daycare, I witnessed a staff member dealing with a child in the midst of a tantrum and I was left feeling pretty disturbed. I don't have a background in early childhood development and I've never worked with children so I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is justified and I'm hoping that I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.... On to what I saw...The kids were out on the playground when I picked up and my kid had just had a #2 accident, so I took her into the bathroom to change her. While I was in there, a teacher brought in a kid (about the same age as my kid) who was crying, but not full on tantrum. She kept telling him that 'until he had control over his body, he couldn't play with the other kids.' I think he was hitting and kicking because she also said that she did not like being hit and kicked. She came into the bathroom and grabbed a mat. When I came out of the bathroom, I saw that she had put the kid in the corner and created a sort-of room with the mat. She was holding the mat so the kid was enclosed in a small space. The mat was about the same height as the teacher. She continued to talk to him, saying things like she didn't like being hit, you need to control your body and your mom is going to be very upset with you. Now, if I came in and someone was doing this to my kid I would probably be very upset. There was zero validation of the kids feelings going on, which bothered me just as much as seeing a kid being essentially put in a padded room. There was also no effort in deescalation, there was only punitive talk about what he was doing wrong.We've been at this daycare for 5 months and aren't in love with it- we've had 4 head teachers since we've been there, they aren't very supportive with potty training, I have to repeat myself to every single teacher since they turn over so often about how my daughter needs to be reminded to go sit on the potty every hour or so... None of this is what we were told when we enrolled, including the discipline that I witnessed. We were told that kids were taken aside in a loving and gentle way and that a teacher helped them through their feelings.So Reddit... is this cause for alarm or am I just freaked out because I've never worked with kids and this is a normal/okay way to deal with a kid who is hitting and kicking? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/33ZXKiu

No comments:

Post a Comment