Tuesday 27 August 2019

How to take ownership of my share of the mental load?


Dad of a 6 month old here. My wife has been on mat leave and while we split the physical chores, she generally takes care of all of the planning involving the baby and home (planning food, managing clothes, finding things we need to buy, etc). Lately, she's been stressed out because it's just too much. I realize I haven't been pulling my weight in this department and I want to change things. I know I'm capable of taking mental ownership because I do in other areas (I handle pretty much all of our finances and investments, for example), but when I look at all of the things she comes up with, I don't even know where to start.Here are some of the challenges I foresee:It's hard to help with smaller parts because they're all interconnected. For example, I could take on the mental burden of meal planning, but since baby is on solids now, his food needs to be planned alongside (since it doesn't make sense to buy 200g of chicken or half a potato). But then I also need to know what to feed him and how that's going to change over the coming months. It seems like it's all or nothing for some of these.I'm afraid I'll create more work or burden if I don't do it properly. My wife is very organized and I'm afraid if I take ownership of an area and miss some things, she'll still have to think about it and fix my mistakes.Some parts of the mental burden are so foreign to me I don't even know how I could have known about them. For example, my wife asked me to build a sensory board for the baby. I had never heard of such a thing before. Did she read about it in a book, or see a picture of a friend's baby playing with one? Obviously I can ask, but it seems like there's a certain portion of the mental burden that is hidden to me.What strategies have you used to even out the mental load when one parent has had control of it for this long? Any good resources to recommend? I want to work this out before she goes back to work next February since her job is typically more stressful than mine. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ZhR0xH

No comments:

Post a Comment