Wednesday 28 August 2019

“Breast is best”


This is going to be controversial and I’m to the point I don’t care. When I was pregnant all I heard every visit was how breastfeeding would be the best for my daughter. When we got to the hospital the moment I had her nurses put her on my chest and told me to go to feeding her. I’ll be honest, I’m young and I wanted so badly for my daughter to depend only on me when it was time to eat. It’s selfish, I know, but it’s all I heard for 9 months. Now when it came down to it for the two days we were in the hospital I didn’t understand how my little sweet baby could be so mad so often and why did she need to eat so much? The overly pushy lactation consultant told me how it was normal and how I just had to try harder. When we came home I spent all night sat up in a chair with her attached to me, literally. I would try to take her off my breast and she would wake up screaming. I knew then she wasn’t getting enough to eat. She couldn’t be. We went to our first checkup and she screamed the entire time. The doctor told me she wasn’t really trying to drink and she was just using me as a comforter. I was heartbroken. I felt useless to my daughter, and no one believed me. All that I kept getting was ‘breast is best’ while my daughter screamed, constantly hungry. Finally, after watching me go two days without sleep and cry, my husband went and bought formula and made a bottle for our little bit. It was amazing. She ate 4 oz at 4 days old in one sitting. She was starving.So in the end. To all those struggling mommas that feel like they are failing because they can’t produce. You aren’t. Breast isn’t always best. Everyone is different and every baby is different. You do what you need to do to make sure your baby is happy and healthy and don’t let anyone make you feel like less. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/322awv8

No comments:

Post a Comment