Friday 30 August 2019

Nurse demanding doctor examine my thin 8 y/o... for obesity


I just got a very interesting note from my sons school nurse. My son is 8/3rd grade and fluctuates between “bony” and “thin.” He does hour-long sports practice (a very active sport) 5-6 days a week.He’s on the taller side too if that makes a difference.I was shocked to find a note in his backpack (personalized to him) stating his BMI is “between 85th-95th percentile” and “medical evaluation is highly recommended” as he’s at risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc.There’s a nice little sidenote, admonishing us to have our kids play sports, not sitting In front of the TV all day, sucking down sugary beverages. 🙄We have to provide a note back to the school, but he is being evaluated by his pediatrician. I spoke with the doctor this morning, and she was flabbergasted, as my son has always been thin. She also expressed concern of what message a letter like that might send to Kids regarding body image etc.To say nothing of the fact, that type one diabetes, congenital hyperinsulinism, are not the fault of the patient.But we’re getting him evaluated in a couple of weeks. If the School Nurse wants to play this game…I just want to know if this is normal?Frankly some of the staff at my kids school have been very snotty to me/my family because I have a physical disability and a stutter, and I hate that I’m wondering if this note is just an extension of that. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/32eU4HT

No comments:

Post a Comment