Thursday 29 August 2019

How to manage 6 year old sons entitlement to toys


We adopted him about a few months ago but have known him and his family for longer. His parents are not in the picture so he was raised by other family members until we adopted him. Prior to living with us he lived with his grandparents who essentially let him have and do whatever he wanted ie getting whatever toy he wanted, staying as late as he wanted, even deciding if he wanted to go to school that day. Fast forward to today and me and my wife have tried to make him realize that he can’t have anything he wants and it has been a battle. If we take away a toy he screams and cries, tells us he hates us, etc.Today was the straw that broke the camels back. We told him if he was good at school all week we would get him a piggy bank for his money. We went to the store and the whole time he screams and cries about how he wants it right now. This is a regular occurrence. I’m at a point where I want to bag up all of his toys and let him earn them back but the voice in the back of my head is saying that may be a little extreme.TLDR: my son throws a tantrum whenever he doesn’t get a toy or whenever we take one away. I’m about to go nuclear and take all his toys to show him that they are a privilege not a right. I’m looking for ideas or input to help manage this via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/32h9HPk

No comments:

Post a Comment