Friday 30 August 2019

Crazy spy app used on me during playdate


I have a close friend who can be a little crazy sometimes. I guess I just never thought she’d direct her crazy at me. Her teen son and my teen son are pretty close and hang out regularly, although they’re starting to grow apart as my son shot up in height, voice dropped, likes “cooler” stuff, and her son is still ready for play dates. Just different levels of development. Well, anyway, he came over early one morning when his mom had to leave early for work, and I planned to take them to some activities later in the day. I let them play and went about my business. The kids left their phones in the kitchen, where I paid bills, called my marriage counselor and talked in depth about an issue that I was seeking some clarity on, called church to talk about a purchase for the memory of my deceased mom, paid bills by phone because I couldn’t remember my login, and watched TV. It was a productive morning for me. I fed the kids, and then we went to the planned activities. Generally, his mom checks in when he’s over all day. She didn’t that day. I messaged her at the end of her work day and asked if she wanted to meet us out to eat. She said yes, she’d see us there in awhile. I bought the kids dinner. When she arrived, she joined for dinner. I paid. As she’s eating, she tells me that oh btw she installed a new app on his phone. First, she said it was because he lost his old phone and she wanted to track it. I asked, like Life360? She said no, it was a “parenting app.” I asked what that meant and she grinned at me. This is her evil grin, her “I know I’m doing something devious” grin, and I knew exactly what it was for. It was to spy on her ex-husband while her son was with him. I asked how, like a tracking app? She said yes, but better. Whatever it was, she could “tune in” at any point and get an audio recording of whatever is in the area of the phone. She shared that she tuned in several times that day. At that point, she got a little cold. I thought about the ramifications of what she said. His phone had pretty much been with us (and near me) all day. I was perfectly pleasant to her son all day. But if she had “tuned in” several times, I had no idea what she could have heard regarding my marriage, my grief, and my bills/credit information. Although she and I are/were close, this is not information I want people to have ready access to. I had nothing to hide, but this felt like a huge privacy violation. “Several times” throughout the day?! It wasn’t even just once?! I should get to CHOOSE what I share with my friends. I didn’t want to share this with her, but had no choice as she was testing her ex spy tool on me. I’m the kind of person who walks away to make phone calls and gives someone my full attention. This was like she just dropped in and hid in the closet while I talked about a ton of personal information. I’m so ANGRY and hurt and embarrassed. This WAS a close friend. We haven’t spoken since, which makes it so much worse.Parents, don’t do this to your friends. I would never, NEVER spy on a friend or close family member like this. I get if you don’t trust the person babysitting your child. I get if your kid is too young for a device and you’re trying something out. This??? I don’t understand. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Unbwrc

No comments:

Post a Comment