Wednesday 28 August 2019

Bonus parent to a kid with special needs


I've been with my bf for almost nine months. I first met his two kids about six months ago and they're great. Hilarious and sweet. The oldest is 14 and the youngest is 12, so a teen and a tween. I don't have any kids of my own but have always loved kids and used to work as a teacher with kids their age.A few weeks ago we moved in together, and it's going well. I've realised that when they call for dad and have questions, I'm included in the concept "dad". (Totally not ready for anything "mom"-related, I'm just a cool adult living with their dad.)Anyhow, the youngest have ASD and ADHD, and oh my God everyday is an adventure now. This morning I woke up to breakfast in the sink and when I texted my bf asking why (was it expired and therefore thrown away?) he just answered "welcome to the world of ADHD" I've seen kiddo live in action, leaving things in the middle of a step. It's fascinating how much underwear I find lying around in a normal day, they're literally everywhere.But I feel like I need some advice. I have superficial knowledge about ASD and ADHD, and about kids/teens, but this is the first time I've experienced it 24/7 (they live alternating weeks with us and their mother). How do I handle the rollercoaster ride? My bf is extremely supportive and when I get overwhelmed or need space he takes over. He's used to it all, he's been having the kids on his own for six or seven years, every other week. I am not used to it, I haven't lived with kids since I was a kid.He told me before I moved in that he knew that he asked a lot from me, and that he'd understand if it felt like it was too much, but I didn't realise until now exactly what it would be like. I absolutely adore this wonderful man and have no intention of running away screaming, but I feel like I need some advice and putting up a game plan for myself in relation to the kids. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Lb2IAt

No comments:

Post a Comment