Wednesday 28 August 2019

Child (6y) is sad because he is an only child.


My son is 6y old, and lately he started asking for a sibling. I know it's a normal thing at his age. I have told him that we don't plan on having another child. I elaborated a bit that babies take a lot of energy and time, and I'd rather spend that on him.The issue is that it makes him quite sad. He indicated that he feels lonely without a sibling. He has plenty of friends, but it's not the kind of loneliness that can be fixed by friends. I did mention that being an only has advantages, but didn't push that too much, as I felt it wouldn't help at the moment. Stuff like 'but we can spend more money on toys for you' help little against loneliness.I wonder if anyone has dealt with this? And does anyone know of some good lines to use?In case it matters: he's around other kids plenty of times and socializes well, so that isn't the issue. I guess he really noticed that most of his friends have siblings and he doesn't. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2zq9c9d

No comments:

Post a Comment