Saturday 31 August 2019

Please have “girl time” with your daughters


Gosh. I’ve never posted before but something amazing just happened tonight.I have a 4 year old daughter who I’ve been fighting with everyday for the last two years. I’m always the disciplinarian in our house so she’s always been “daddy’s girl”. When I say fighting I literally mean hour long tantrums because she doesn’t want to brush her teeth because brushing teeth is “too hard”, or screaming because she doesn’t want to get dressed, or eat dinner, or go to school, or do chores. Literally any of that.Recently shes getting in trouble at school, hitting other kids. She’s been bullied and been one to bully back; she’s not sharing and not really getting a long with anyone. NOTHING I say gets through to her no amount of talking, empathy, punishment, sympathy— nothing has helped! I’ve even asked the teacher to contact the school counselor to ask about therapy for all of us or just her; or if they could recommend a professional outside of the school system anything!By a stroke of LUCK my husband got two tickets to go see a baseball game and my son wanted to go to his first game so my husband suggested we have a girls night. Immediately my daughter JUMPED on the idea and asked if it was just me and her and if we could do whatever we want and I totally when in on it to! The boys left and I have NEVER had SO MUCH fun with just my daughter and I.I told her tonight was about doing whatever we wanted. We went and got our favorite take out for dinner, set up all our drinks and snack and I gave her full reign of the remote. We ended up cuddling with a big cozy blanket and binge watching the entire series of the new She-Ra on Netflix, and had a blast!And what do you know? Tonight after girls night was done I told her it was time to brush her teeth, and she stopped moving sitting there thinking and then she goes “Ok mommy!”Not only was there no tantrum, but she ended up FLOSSING her teeth AND brushing them.I’m literally sitting here crying because I was terrified that I was raising an apathetic child that would grow up to be selfish and a terrible person, who was always angry. I was at my wits end. I had no idea how to reach her and for the first time in both her and my life we connected.We did something together and we loved it. I’m not sure what this means but I can FEEL that this is going to help BOTH of us; and that she won’t grow up to be unkind.I feel so dumb for not doing this with her sooner, but I’m so happy that we did this because I know it’s a step in the right direction. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/32kdGKY

No comments:

Post a Comment