Wednesday 28 August 2019

How awful am I for refusing to buy graphic novels for one of my sons?


I just ordered $40 worth of books for my 10 yo son. Six chapter books, and one graphic novel. Naturally, when my 11 yo son found out, he was mad, because I'd just told him I wouldn't order a graphic novel series he's been wanting.Younger son is really starting to get in to reading, read 3 or 4 chapter books on his own over the summer, and requested the one graphic novel because he thought it looked cool while we were shopping for chapter books.Older son had two assigned "summer reading" books that he just outright refused to read. They were chapter books, and I reminded him all summer long of the approaching deadline. They have a during-school celebration next week for students who finished their assignment, but parents have to sign a letter verifying that they did the reading. I wouldn't sign, since he didn't do it, so he's staying in the classroom instead of attending the celebration.He won't read anything but graphic novels, which I don't think do much if anything to improve his reading skills at this level.I'd really love for both of them to find enjoyment in reading actual books. I don't want to take the fun out of it by making reading something I force them to do, but he is just adamant that chapter books are too boring and he won't read them.Thoughts? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PirX97

No comments:

Post a Comment