Thursday 28 February 2019

Well played, Gandpa


When I was little I loved visiting my grandpa. We only got to see him a few times a year because he lived in a different state. His house was filled with passed-down family heirlooms and I loved exploring them. One night he told me about how back in the day people would hide their cash in a bible so if a burglar broke in they wouldn’t think to look there for the money. He said after a while that became common knowledge so one time before going on an extended trip he hid a $100 bill in a different book, but when he got back he had forgotten which book he had put it in. He said he was really sad that he could never find it. This turned into my mission. He had a decent sized bookshelf full of books and every time I visited him I would spent time looking for his $100 but I never found it. He passed away close to 20 year ago now. My parents had an estate sale and sold everything but ever since then I occasionally would think of that book and wonder if anyone found it. I’m 38 now and have two boys, 4 & 5, and it just occurred to me yesterday, that there was probably never any $100 in a book. He probably just wanted some adult time with my dad on our visits. Good one, Grandpa! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2tRqTf7

No comments:

Post a Comment