Tuesday 26 February 2019

3yo daughter obsessed with traditional gender roles and stereotypes


3yo daughter obsessed with gender norms/categorizing everything as boy or girl things...I know this is a totally normal developmental phase, but it’s starting to grate on me. The other morning, while in kitchen cooking breakfast with daughter, she is looking at me and starts CRYING. She then says, “I don’t want to look like a boy when I grow up!” I have short hair, but until now have always thought that I appeared pretty feminine. This is one of many recent instances that she’s said something like this to me. She’s made comments that I can’t play A, B or C activity with her because I’m a boy. When pressed, she says “you have short hair like a boy, mommy.” I try to explain in as simple terms as possible that a person’s hair or physical presentation does not determine whether they’re a boy or girl and that boys can have long hair, etc... but her eyes glaze over. She has stopped telling me I’m a boy, but still makes constant comments categorizing things into boy or girl activities.She goes to daycare and is very close with other girls there, and dislikes every boy. When going to play dates with other boys she’ll say beforehand, “I don’t like them.” She’ll play with them regardless, so it’s not too much of an issue, socially... but makes me sad that she has already determined there are things she can’t do and like because those thing are for “boys” and that she has already started to dislike boys so much, already... I thought this was an elementary school aged thing.I don’t really know where I’m going with this other than I’m wondering if people have had similar experiences. There’s a lot on the internet about gender NON conforming children, but not a whole lot on traditional gender role obsessed children. I feel like I’ve already failed her! How can I navigate these discussions with her without making things worse? Is this a big deal?EDITI’ve edited to remove Disney princess criticism and emphasize that my issue here is my child ruling out a lot of activities and likes because those things are for “boys,” and that she sees boys and boy things as bad. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Ec7M3X

No comments:

Post a Comment