Wednesday 27 February 2019

My husband's ex doesn't want me speaking Spanish while her son is at our house.


I'm Latina and my native language is Spanish but I speak English fluently as a second language. My husband is Caucasian and speaks English. He doesn't speak any Spanish and we live in America.My husband and I have a 2 year old son together. I originally wanted to speak to him in Spanish and have my husband speak to him in English but he was language delayed and our doctor said it was because his brain was having trouble processing the two languages enough to speak one. We started using only English in the house.My son caught up with language naturally and we started introducing Spanish again when he was 1.5. Now I only speak to him in Spanish and my husband only speaks to him in English. He is learning and speaking both. We are going to send him to a Spanish Immersion school when he's old enough so it's important for Spanish to be in his life.My stepson comes to our house every weekend. He's 6 years old and his mom is also English speaking and Caucasian. She told my husband that she would prefer if we didn't use Spanish in our home on the weekends because her son is learning words that she doesn't know and she doesn't like the idea of him speaking another language that she can't understand. She said she doesn't want him saying mean things about her in Spanish when he gets mad. I explained that I don't say mean things so he wouldn't learn that from me. When I'm talking to just my stepson I do speak English and the family language is English, so that's what we use for things like dinner. I do read them a book in English and Spanish before bed though.I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I want to keep our Spanish up on the weekends. What should I do to keep everyone happy? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Tli37B

No comments:

Post a Comment