Sunday 24 February 2019

If you could send you child only one email, what would be in it? Because I'm tapped.


tldr; Years ago, I set up an email account for my son and will give it to him in a decade after I have filled it with emails from me. The only problem is my messages are boring at best, lunacy at worst. What should I send him emails about?​Five years ago, I set up an email address for my now 10-year old son, and I’ve been sending it emails ever since. When he turns 20, I will give him the keys to this account, and I’m certain he will conclude that I’m defective.​The reason is that I am not as eloquent as I like to think, and nowhere near as disciplined as I know I should be. My emails aren't all that insightful, don't have good advice, and kind of ramble. Sometimes I send several of these in a week, and other times I go months without a word.​In fact, the most interesting thing about the email account I will turn over to my son is how the hundreds and hundreds of emails will be an anthropological dig, with layers like sedimentary deposits, a fossilized history of how I thought about him over time. My emails have several distinct layers:​The first layer was the optimistic ones, where I tried to tell him things I think he should know at the age of 20. The things I didn't know back then, and learned only later in life. It turns out, though, that I haven't learned all that much, so the layer isn't all that thick.​The second layer was the one of aphorisms. It contains my advice to him on how to live a good life. Commandments he should live by. Again, it turns out that I don't have an awful lot of insightful comments here, because I still am not sure myself how to have a good life.​The third layer was the factual one. I sent his accounts of things he did, like a journal of his life, as if I was his biographer. That, too, was not a thick or actually informative layer, because it turns out I don't pay all that much attention.​The fourth layer was the photo layer, because it was a simple email to send. All I had to do was go on my phone, find a photo with him in it, and email it to him with a brief description of what he was doing and why I did it. I think this one might confusing to him. Over the course of several months, I emailed him several years worth of photographs, all of them in chronological order.​The fifth and current layer is the most disturbing, I think, because it is mostly emails I have sent after a Friday night, sitting with old friends, drinking beers and laughing about life. More often than not, I get a little wistful at the end, mostly because I have drank enough to forget I actually have nothing insightful to say, and also just enough that I get in a huggy-I-Love-You-Guys type of mood. Rather than waking my son up to give him a hug, I send him an email. I dread the look on his face when he starts to read that drivel.​As it stands, I am tapped. I am left with sending him the equivalent of closing time texts, mostly because I rarely have any idea what I should say. Which brings me to the question at hand: has anyone done anything like this successfully? What do you think should be the most important things about an email to your son?​ via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2H1hh9o

No comments:

Post a Comment