Sunday 24 February 2019

On Sundays I will have a single glass of wine with dinner. My 16 year old told me that he's uncomfortable with me drinking and wants me to remove alcohol from the house.


Every Sunday we (my wife, myself, my two teenage boys) have dinner with our good friends and neighbors (mom, dad, two teen boys, and a preteen daughter). It's a family we have known for a decade.We hosted tonight and after I poured my glass my son told me that he doesn't think I should be drinking alcohol. I told him that I am not going to get drunk, the kids have never seen me drunk, and that there is nothing wrong with having a single glass of wine with dinner. He was starting to make a scene so I told him to quiet down and we would discuss it when the neighbors left. After the left he told me that drinking makes him uncomfortable and he doesn't think anyone should be willingly taking a substance that alters their state of mind. I was sober and explained that my state of mind hasn't been altered. He can be a little high strung and still rants about the recreational marijuana dispensary in town and is extremely judgmental about people who smoke weed. He calls them drug addicts. I know he's a teen and they can act this way sometimes but he told me that if I don't remove the wine from the house then he's going to do it when we are asleep. That's where I draw the line. I don't need alcohol to survive or anything but my kid isn't making those decisions for me. I told him to go up to bed even though it's only 9pm because I didn't want to discuss this with him further. He called me an alcoholic and stormed up to his room.I have posted before about how he gets really into conspiracy videoes and don't know if this is part of that. He's normally very science minded, he competes in robotics, science Olympiad, and is in AP Chemistry, but all of that goes out of the window when he has this mind set on something and it's impossible to talk to him without him saying "I believe what I believe." Am I in the wrong? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NrQunL

No comments:

Post a Comment