Thursday 28 February 2019

United front with four year old.


Last night I was a bit over the top before my four year old son and I went to bed. As we were going to bed, my son wanted me to slice up some cheese as a snack for bedtime. I was tired and there were other more convenient choices but I was tired enough to “die on this hill” to disagree with my son.Like most toddlers, he had two bites of the dinner that I made him and the rest of the night consisted of various snacks since he didn’t eat his supper. Again, typical toddler behavior. I understand that it takes only a few moments to slice up some cheese, but we had other easier snacks that he could’ve chose from. He had a meltdown and my stubborn self wasn’t going to cave in to his meltdown and slice that darn cheese. My wife, who was already in bed, told me to just do it.Again, I realize I was being over the top and ridiculous and should’ve chosen a different battle and sliced that darn cheese. My wife thought I was being silly and told me just to do it. What got me upset was that I feel like things have to go through her checks and balances before she will take my side over things, and not just with our parenting decisions. I feel like if a choice I make doesn’t lead to physical or emotional harm, she should side with me even if she may not agree with me. There’s plenty of times she makes a decision that I may not agree with that I go along with just so we can have a united front with our son, but I really don’t like to be second guessed in front of him and fear it will lead to him showing me less respect in the future.I can accept if I’m way off base here, but am I an asshole who is completely in the wrong?TL/DR Instead of siding with me, even with a seemingly silly situations, my wife and I don’t establish a united front with our son and I feel disrespected. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2T4i2Wr

No comments:

Post a Comment