Wednesday 27 February 2019

Tugged my 16 month old's hair after she pulled mine hard while I said NO


I feel really bad lately because of this. I only did this once. She frowned soon as I did that but didn't cry. She just laid in my arms as she frowned. I felt so horrible. I did say that "ouch" and it hurts and repeatedly said no. I stared at her a bit in disbelief that I did it and then I hugged her. Later I came to her and hugged her and said I was sorry about pulling her hair. She was playing with her back toward me and in hindsight I should have said it in front of her. She did raise her hand toward her hair when I said that. And then I tried to explain that she was pulling mine and it hurt and that I wanted to show her it hurts. But I felt that was of course not something completely understood. I don't know how to recover from that and heal the confusing message I had sent. It has been a day since it happened. I think she does look at me serious lately. I know she used to kick me when I changed her diaper and now it's less and she hasn't pulled me hair. She still kicks me when I change her diaper but that is another issue and I never hit her back or anything. It was just this one time I did tug a piece of her hair and her head did move. It happened in 2 seconds. I must have been tired and reactionary about it. I feel so horrible. What is anyone's advise on how to build that trust again and eliminate any confusion on that? I don't want her to witness me doing the same thing she did just cause I said, especially if it's physical, since that sends a mixed message. Someone told me to start stating "hurt, ouch" when she hurts herself so that when I say it after she inflicts pain on me, she understands that it is pain. I started swiftly the evening of the day I did tug her hair when she fell on her head. I also read that a toddler has "implicit memory" which means they can remember an emotional event. Can anyone shed light on this situation that happened once? Can something like this that happened once, be something she could forget? I almost want her to pull my hair again so I can start over again. Do you think she will? Lots of questions and thank you for helping me as much as you can and the time you took aside to read this. I just really can't find the right answers online and need as much advise as possible to absolve me of this guilt and take action. Thank you! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2TlLTsx

No comments:

Post a Comment