Tuesday 26 February 2019

Possible long distance parent in future?


So I’m in a situation now where my wife and I will more than likely get divorced. I make about $20 an hour and the cost of living where I live (specifically housing) has increased tremendously in the last few years. If I were to have 50/50 custody with our time split evenly, I would pay about $600 in child support for two kids. I won’t hardly be able to afford a one bedroom let alone a 2 or 3 bedroom. Plus with my schedule, 50/50 will be an extremely hard task and the logistics of it would be inconvenient for the kids. Realistically I would only have them 35-40% of the time. My kids are 1 and 4.An opportunity has come up in Colorado, a 10 hour drive from where I live in Boise, and I’m not saying I will do it, but I am keeping all my options open. Essentially I could move to Colorado and live with a long time friend for pretty cheap. I’ve looked at job prospects there and with my degree I could start making around 70-80k almost right away. Child support would go up more but I would actually be able to afford to live, and I would have the kids for summers and holidays.I know most people will say don’t leave your kids and I get that, and I most likely won’t do this, but I really don’t understand how I’ll live financially if I stay. If I do go through with it it wouldn’t be for a year or two and opportunities may arise here where I won’t have to. I’m very conflicted; I don’t want to leave my kids, but between the toxic relationship with my wife and the financial hardship I’ll be in, I don’t know what to do.Does anyone have experience with this or some insight they can provide? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2BVHNNO

No comments:

Post a Comment