Monday 25 February 2019

Stop threatening your kids with calling the cops. It may work when they are little but it causes fear and distrust as they get older.


I have two kids and one on the way. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is a cop.My husband was in uniform yesterday as he stopped to pick something up from the store. A lady in front of him told her son to put down the toy he wanted or she would tell the cops to take him to jail for disobeying her. The kid looked at my husband and put the toy down. Success, right? I don't think so. All it did was make my husband and cops into the bad guys. Cops want to be seen as someone who will protect you. Someone your kids can go to if they need help. By teaching them that cops are out to get them it sets them up to be afraid.My husband patrols around a rough neighborhood where teens are disrespectful towards cops and afraid of them. He has had teens run away as he turned the corner or pulled up to a park. We wonder why this happens but when you teach kids from an early age that cops are out to get them, they internalize that and believe it.Stop doing that to kids. We need to create more positive relationships between them and police officers. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2BQJnRe

No comments:

Post a Comment