Monday 25 February 2019

Bilingual parents, I need tips on how to teach my son a second language


So I’m Mexican-American and my 3 year old son is half white half Mexican. My husband who is white, wants me to teach our children Spanish. My son is very smart and very talkative, he can speak in full sentences, knows his colors, numbers, shapes, etc. So I’ve decided I should start teaching him Spanish now while he’s still young and has a chance to grow up with it. I know I probably should’ve been teaching him and speaking to him in Spanish since he was born but I always found it very weird/awkward to teach him Spanish because my husband doesn’t know it or speak it, and my family all speaks English to eachother at home even though we all know Spanish. We pretty much only speak it if/when we have to in public or with strangers, etc. I didn’t want to be the only one at home speaking Spanish by myself. I need some tips on how to best teach my 3 year old Spanish. Should I teach him small words at a time or just start talking to him normally in Spanish like I would in English and hope he catches on? Any advice is helpful, I just want to make sure he learns it successfully and can grow up speaking it fluently. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2TfP2Kj

No comments:

Post a Comment