Tuesday 26 February 2019

Son says he found photos of me with other women (not my wife, his mother).


Last night, my son (14M) messaged me from upstairs to say that he had something on his mind he wanted to talk to me about, and he didn't want me taking to my wife (his mum) about it. Turns out he was browsing our local network "a while" ago, and came across some photos of me with another women (he said he didn't want to go into detail, but that I would "get the idea").​The thing is, he can't have, because there simply aren't any photos like that. I've been married to my wife for 15 years, and have never been unfaithful. Now the embarrassing thing is that it is possible (but unlikely) he came across some rather "adult" photos on the network (I've since got rid of them). These would have been photos of an ex of mine from over 20 years ago, but none of them would have included me, although a couple might have included pictures of her ex, and although I've never really looked or noticed, I guess it's not impossible we look slightly similar (she always went for the same kind of guys!)... Although I stress these photos are from 20 years ago when we were all 20 years younger - I should point out that my wife isn't aware of the existence of these photos, but she would understand we both had lives before we met, so although I might find it difficult to explain why I kept these pictures all these years (I don't even know the answer myself), I'm sure we could get past it.​Anyway, last night, as soon as I got the text, I went up to see my son. I explained that I didn't know how he'd come across any photos of me with other women because they aren't any (at the time, I did't remember the above photos of my ex). He was obviously embarrassed talking about it with me (hence texting me in the first place), but he said he believed me.​I then told my wife about the messages. It just felt like one of those things to talk about sooner rather than later. I didn't want it coming up in a week or a month, and her to start having doubts about why I didn't mention it at the time.​Trouble is, I don't know what to do now. I down played it to my wife yesterday, but I've been feeling sick all day because I hate to think that my son is thinking these things about me, and yet, if he did come across the above photos, maybe it's understandable. When I left it with him last night, he seemed okay, but I wonder if I should text him (eg, not do it in person), and ask if he wants to talk about it by text or in person, or if there's anything I can do to help get to the bottom of it. I really don't want this playing on his mind, and him living the rest of his life thinking, even just a little bit, that I've been cheating on his mum.​So help! How do I handle this situation? Do I just leave it, or do I try and engage him more about what he saw, and why he thought it was me?​TL;DR: Son says he saw photos of me with other women, but he can't have.​ via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NsV1pN

No comments:

Post a Comment