Monday 25 February 2019

Uplifting story: I received hugs from twin toddlers


My wife and I often take our 17 month old toddler, Sophia, to the local mall either on Saturdays or Sundays to walk around (exercise for us) and let our daughter play at "Recess West", the mall's inside playground.This last Saturday, we were in the playground area with our daughter and she was having a wonderful time climbing round on the foam-covered boat they have there.My baby girl is 19 lbs and tiny for her age and just starting to stand and walk on her own. She isnt completely sure of herself yet and is shy when it comes to the dozens of other children much older than her racing around so she won't leave our side and play, so we stay near her.Also, being new parents (and having lost a child before) we also want to make sure she has a safe and fun time so we often stick close to her so she doesn't get trampled by an older child who isn't paying attention (as we have seen other toddlers have had happen to them while playing there).As we are helping our daughter climb into and out of this play boat, I noticed a little black girl around 2 or 3 years old just staring at me.Now, I'm a 40 year old white man, 5' 10", dark haired (but staring to silver), just starting to grow a beard and according to my wife I have a 'perpetual grumpy face'.I smile at this little girl and wave, just to be nice and let her know I'm OK, and go back to congratulating my daughter on her walking between my wife and myself.Then I notice this little girl has not taken her eyes off me and has crawled into this boat and right next to where I am seated. I smiled and said 'Hi'.She then leans over, turns her head to the side, pushes up against me and hugs me. A full hug. I'm surprised and look around to see her mom, a black lady in an abaya who is holding the hand of her other daughter who is also staring at me. I smile at the mom, and shrug. The little girl looks up at me with these big eyes, and hugs again so I give her a smile and a light hug back with a small pat on her back.She has this huge smile and toddles back to her mom.My wife laughs and comments that I must look like a big teddy bear...when I feel another hug on my right arm. The little girl's sister had wandered over to hug me as well. Other parents who are sitting on the padded benches nearby are chuckling and commenting how cute this is.I hug the little girl back, and she smiles, gurgles/giggles and toddles back to mom.This happens multiple times until the mom and girls leave and I noticed they only were hugging me even though there were other dads of various races also in the playground area.My daughter, who is a mommy's girl, wanted hugs from me too every time the little girls would hug me so lots of hugs for this old man.I can't explain it but it uplifted my day and I just wanted to share my experience in the hope it may brighten your day, if even just a little. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2VnrKQn

No comments:

Post a Comment