Monday 25 February 2019

Parents, do you get involved in any cyber bullying of your child?


I’m not sure if I took the best plan of action and need some input. This weekend, my nine year old daughter was playing an online game that she and some friends from school like to play. I try to limit her online time to some degree by keeping her busy and reserve the right to always go through her iPod to make sure all activity is appropriate. Well, for the second weekend in a row, my daughter came running to me sobbing. Her friend, who has been to our house multiple times and we’ve been very good to, decided to act really nasty to my daughter and got the other girls to chime in. I read the wall of texts this girl was sending her and it was very abusive, especially for a nine year old. She was threatening my daughter, blaming my daughter for things she didn’t do and taking her aggression out on her and singling her out. I’ve gotten sick of it because my daughter is really sweet, almost too sweet for her own good and has a hard time standing up for herself. My daughter told this girl to stop and this girl then decided to get others involved in bashing my child. This girl has one friend that she clings to and has let everyone else know that no one else is to speak to her. If my daughter speaks to her, this girl goes bananas. Then she got extremely irate that my daughter wasn’t responding fast enough for her liking. The reason my child wasn’t responding quickly, at that time, was because I took the phone to monitor and investigate this situation. I told the girl that it was me and that they need to be nice. The girl immediately said she was sorry and felt “embarrassed” by her behavior. I reminded all of the girls that they should be treating each other with kindness and not to be mean to one another. They all agreed and I hand the iPod back to my daughter but stayed close to see what would happen. I’ve started to see some possessive and bullying behavior from this girl when she’s around and I don’t want my daughter hanging out with her anymore. But did I go too far by intervening? My husband says I should t have said anything to them and let my daughter learn to fight her own battles but I feel like sometimes an adult should be present when the kids are online and “unsupervised”. If this girl were at my home and treating my child this way, I would intervene then. My daughter did tell the girl to stop and that all of the fighting she his girl has been causing lately is pushing her away. So she was able to speak up for herself but this girl is very manipulative for her age. Seeing how the results of cyber bullying can be, I don’t want to mess around with it at all. What would you all do if you were in my shoes? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IC9H7h

No comments:

Post a Comment