Thursday 28 February 2019

Strong-willed 2.5 year old and potty training struggles


TL;DR - my 2.5 year old thinks the toilet is a punishment but doesn't want to use a diaper anymore.I read the Oh Crap! Potty Training book and started potty training last Saturday. I kind of tweaked the instructions from the book to make it work better for us. We've had our ups and downs, but I'm seeing progress. It is definitely one step forward and two steps back.My daughter is 2.5 years old and was a little speech delayed. She started talking within a couple months after her second birthday. So we kind of put off potty training due to her speech. But after reading the Oh Crap book I got the confidence to give it a try.She definitely knows the feeling of needing to potty or poo. She can hold it for hours! I'm still using diapers at nap and nighttime but without my pushing, she is keeping those dry on her own. She has very obvious signs of needing to go, but she never tells me. I prompt a lot! She always just yells "no!" at me. She's always been very stubborn and strong-willed. So for some reason she views sitting on the toilet as punishment. At the mere mention of sitting on the toilet, she yells, screams, fights me and argues. She'll do it, but she's crying and screaming the whole time.I try talking with her and explaining that it's not a bad thing, it's not a punishment. But she still reacts like I'm torturing her. She will hold it until she starts losing a few drops because she's bursting at the seams. She'll run over to me preemptively crying and saying "no, no, no!" Because she knows the potty is coming out and I'm going to put her on the toilet. She'll go in the toilet and I try making an excited big deal of it, but she's still in angry mode and doesn't want to be excited with me.I'm not sure how to change her thought that the toilet is bad or a punishment. I also don't want to give up. Especially since she doesn't want to use her diaper anymore anyway. Any similar experiences or suggestions? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2VugLom

No comments:

Post a Comment