Monday 28 November 2016

We Are Educational Consultants, Ask Us Anything!


Hi all,I'm here with my mom, and we're educational consultants. My mom worked as a classroom teacher for around 15 years, and then went on to work with districts as an educational consultant.Primarily, she would work on developing new programs to improve early literacy and test-taking skills. A lot of her work involved training teachers on how to keep kids more engaged in school, and how to get kids to love learning. Most of her classrooms went from below grade level to above it during the time she worked with them.I run a private tutoring and family educational consultant company in NYC. Mom works with me, developing curriculum for my students.I work with the same families on a weekly basis. Some of my students require a lot of additional coaching and explanation to stay on top of school, and some of them are incredibly gifted and need some extra discussion on their schoolwork to keep it interesting for them.I work with the students individually anywhere from 1-10 hours per week, and work with their families on ways to improve their overall approach to education in the home. A lot of families feel like if their child doesn't enjoy doing homework, it's a lost battle. Game over. However, with my methods of working learning into daily interaction and conversation, kids are often begging me to stay longer and even give them extra homework!We do science experiments, and talk about what's going on in the experiment. By doing these experiments on a weekly basis, my students understand Middle and High School level science concepts in early Elementary school, and love learning more.I introduce them to math concepts a few years in advance (at an appropriate level) so they aren't anxious when they do see them in school. I read with them, and we talk about the stories. We write books together, we talk about music theory, and we learn about the ecosystem in their fish tank. They ask why dachshunds are long and labs aren't? Now we're learning about selective breeding, genetics, and how traits are passed down.All of my students have transitioned from apathy about school and learning to absolutely loving it.I'm well versed with all age groups. Some common tests that I have a lot of experience in are:NNAT2, OLSAT, Stanford Binet, etc. (Kindergarten Admissions/Gifted and Talented Admissions)ISEE (Private School Admissions)SHSAT (Specialized High School Admissions)SAT/ACT (College Admissions)So, Ask Us Anything!Proof: http://ift.tt/2fJcDig AMA on /r/Entrepreneur via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2gAbYwR

No comments:

Post a Comment