Wednesday 30 November 2016

Toddler is starting to ask questions about my father, who happens to be a child molester. How to handle?


Thanks in advance! Any thoughts welcome, because I'm maybe too emotionally invested in this situation to clearly see how I should handle it.Long story short, with my husband's help I came to grips with years of childhood sexual abuse by my father and cut him out of my life for good. This took place just over three years ago, when my son was an infant. As such, my son does not remember him and isn't even aware of his existence.As life would have it, however, the kid's toddler curiosity is taking over and he's connecting the dots that since everyone else he knows has two parents (living, deceased, or whatever) I probably do as well. Recently he's started randomly asking about "my dad" and who/where he is, etc.I definitely don't want to lie to him and say my father is dead or anything like that. But as a 3.5 year old he's not really ready for the full truth either. Should I just say he's a "bad guy" and we don't talk to him, and leave it at that? Has anyone here dealt with this before?It also crossed my mind to use this as some sort of watered down teaching point on consent/bodily autonomy, but I think the implications of that may be too heavy for him at this age. Right? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2gyIznC

No comments:

Post a Comment