Monday 28 November 2016

Can a father get full custody of the child right after birth?


Okay so here's my situation:My girlfriend and I are both 20 years old. She's currently in college while I already have my own job and place in another state. She recently found out that she was pregnant and is 100% set on sending the child up for adoption so that she can finish college while I on the other hand am more than willing to take care of the child, on my own if need be. I'm the one who got her pregnant and I'm ready to take responsibility for my action, not to mention I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my offspring was being raised by someone else because my girlfriend "is too busy with school". I have a construction job working 40 hours a week and making about $1,200 weekly. My rent is $400 a month, and I spend about $100 on food/gas a week. While this isn't the best, it leaves a good chunk of money for the child's expenses. On top of this, my retired parents live 20 minutes away & would love to babysit while I'm at work, in place of a daycare. My girlfriend's point-of-view is that since she doesn't want to raise the child, she doesn't want me to raise them either. From what I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong), the unmarried mother automatically gets custody of the child, or something like that, and I'd have to go through court to get full custody of the child. From what I've also heard, courts tend to be more in favor of the mothers arguments in these kinds of situations. I'd be sick if she could somehow pull together a convincing enough argument to have the judges agree to not giving me custody, even though I'm prepared and more than willing. So what I'm asking is: Is it realistically possible for me to get full custody of this child?P.S. - Please don't give me a "As a mother/father of 4, I can tell you firsthand you're never ready to be a parent, especially at your young age." story. While that is respected & would be much appreciated in another forum, it's not quite what I'm asking or looking to hear. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2gCBm5q

No comments:

Post a Comment