Monday 28 November 2016

Teacher threatened my 6 year old with jail for "forging" my signature


My son goes to a religious school that went downhill after turnover of both the principal and several teachers. His 1st grade teacher is a complete nut, but we've been dealing with it until we can switch schools.Teacher sends home a "did you go to church on Sunday?" slip every weekend; if the parent checks yes and signs it, the child gets candy on Monday. This past weekend, my son did go to church, but I forgot to sign the slip. When he got to school and realized this, he wrote my name on the signature line. The teacher told him that this was illegal and that he could go to jail for it. My son was terrified to tell me, because he was afraid that he was actually going to be arrested and sent to jail.Let me be clear on my stance - while it was wrong for him to sign my name, there was no intent of malice or deception, rather a simple error in judgment. His logic was that he did go to church, and if Mom's name was on the paper saying so, he could have candy. The teacher should have addressed this with a simple "You may not sign your parents' names for them when I ask for their signature." and a note home - there was no need to tell my SIX YEAR OLD that he could go to JAIL for this.This is the most recent in a long string of incidents that involve his teacher not giving warnings and going straight to the nuclear option for 6 year olds doing shit that 6 year olds do.Since I'm not at all clear-headed about this incident...how should I handle this with the school? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2gAgZJK

No comments:

Post a Comment