Sunday 27 November 2016

New parents of toddlers - Beware the YouTube Kids App


I'm developing a real hatred for YT Kids for a number of reasons, and I would strongly suggest that new parents give it a lot of thought before letting their children use it.First, it seems to be insanely addictive. My 3 year-old's eyes glaze over the minute they start using it and he could spend hours on it if we didn't take it away. Occasionally, he throws a fit if we try to redirect him. It's also the first thing he asks for when it's playtime.Second, I'd have less of a problem with #1 if the content wasn't absolute garbage. The app is loaded and seems to promote pointless videos that contain nothing but adults opening toys, wanna-be celebrities documenting the inane minutiae of their lives, and the occasional nerve-grating remix of children's songs. If you find content in their that is somewhat educational, the next recommended video is sure to be "Ryan's Toys Review" or something completely unrelated to what they were watching. Most of the videos serve no purpose whatsoever.Third, I'm concerned that the popular figures and "celebrities" that are highly promoted on the platform present unrealistic expectations. Ryan's Toys Review, for example. I mean what kid gets to open handcrafted paper mache eggs filled with the most popular toys everyday? Is that spoiled and consumerist behavior really something we should be having our kids aspire to?I'd be curious to see what other parents think of this app. I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with my kid playing with it. I just think it's bad.Edit: TL;DR - I'm concerned that the YouTube kids app is addictive, filled with videos that have little to no educational value and the personalities promote unrealistic expectations. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2g7JsFU

No comments:

Post a Comment