Tuesday 29 November 2016

5 am wakeups...what to do?


Hi /r/parenting,My 9 month old boy is in week 2 of cry it out/ferber(ish) method, and its been a little rough going. He goes down within 5 minutes at the beginning of the night, but has consistently woken twice a night to cry (he's still breastfed, I usually take him in to see Mom if he wakes after 12 am). The waking periods have been getting shorter (1.5 hours down to ~20 minutes), but still pretty discouraging. However, last night...he grouped his wakings to 9 and 10 pm, about 20 minutes each...then slept through till 5:10!Huzzah! I'll take it. But, now I have a problem. Based on past experience of the 5 am wakings, as this waking has happened before both pre-CIO cosleeping and during-CIO, if he stands up to cry he's awake for the day (but still very tired, rubbing eyes etc). I've tried to put him back down in his crib during this early morning period, but CIO does not seem effective for him at this time, and he's in danger of waking his sister too early who is sleeping across the hall. I've read of the melatonin reduction between 4 and 6 am, and he's definitely textbook in their descriptions - light sleeping, more active, harder to get down, etc.This morning he ate, cooed at mom for 5 minutes, then fell asleep next to her. With him being so tired, I was fearful to move him back to his bed which might cause everyone in the house to wake if he woke up. I'd like to leave him with mom if it won't mess up his sleep the next night...I know mom loves the cuddles, and if I can get him to sleep another 1-2 hours he's much happier during the day. But I also don't want to regress on his nighttime sleeping.Those who have done CIO/Ferber, how have you handled the 5 am wakeups? Have some of you co-slept at that time? If so, any negative reprocussions that come up on the following nights sleep? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2grY9BJ

No comments:

Post a Comment