Thursday 27 February 2020

"You're the reason for cancel culture!" Yelled the old guy who almost ran into my baby


My wife and I are walking our 14 month old to daycare like we do most mornings, I've got the kiddo in the carrier on my chest. We're almost at an intersection on our quiet residential street when I see a big black SUV coming towards the stop sign so we stop and wait for it to come to a complete stop. It stops 5 feet short of the stop sign, 'awesome, how rare' I think and we start walking through the crosswalk.As soon as we get two feet into the crosswalk he starts moving forward towards us, passing by behind us with only about a foot to spare as we cross the intersection. (Btw: This. Happens. Constantly.)I yell at the guy, something like "Hey, maybe wait for us to cross?!" (not even swearing cause I am wearing my baby) and he stops in the middle of the intersection.He winds down his window and he's some white bearded guy in his early 60s and he starts yelling back at me: "I stopped well short of the intersection!"Me: "Yes, then continued forward while we were still walking through it."Him: "I absolutely did not!"Me: "You accelerated as soon as we stepped foot in the crosswalk. What, you couldn't wait 10 seconds for a baby to move out of the way of your 4,000lb SUV? Was that five seconds too precious for you?"Him: "You're the reason for cancel culture!" Drives offI've had lots of arguments with terrible drivers in this city, but this is the first time I've been accused of being responsible for cancel culture.My wife and I were more confused than angry about the whole thing, and I was way more upset when a minute later I realized I missed the perfect opportunity to just calmly call back: "Ok, Boomer." via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PtuIC3

No comments:

Post a Comment