Tuesday 25 February 2020

Kids feeling sad, not sure what's best to do.


Yesterday when I got home, my wife said that our Son (10) had come down from bed saying he felt sad. He wouldn't say why, but he started crying. I went up to speak to him but he was asleep (pretending) by this point.Just a but of background information on my Son, he's just turned 10 years old, he's a very bright and intelligent boy, but he's not the most emotional kid, or at least he doesn't show it. He often has a different way of thinking to me, such as as we left the theater after watching Star Wars, in my head I'm thinking I'm the Jedi saving the day, and I ask him what he's thinking, and he replies, 'where do they get the technology from to build the spaceship?'This morning he came in for a cuddle and we could tell he was still feeling sad. He wouldn't talk about it though, but he was refusing to get ready for school. Our two younger kids were ready, and I needed to go to work, so it was a bit awkward. My wife took the younger kids to school, and I stayed with our Son to find out why he was sad.Obviously worried about bullying or something inappropriate etc. all things going through my head. He said he was sad about my Mum and Dad dying. My Dad died 4 years ago after a long illness, and my mum died of cancer 10 months ago, after spending 4 months in a hospice. My Son was always very close to my Mum and Dad because he was our first Grandchild and they used to take him out a lot and he had sleepover etc. They idolised him as he was such a lovely child. He used to be a champion gymnast but after my Dad died he refused to go to gymnastics anymore, we didn't understand at the time as Dad was never involved in his gymnastics anyway, so we 'forced' him to continue until it was obvious he wasn't interested.When my Mum died last year, she had been in the Hospice for 4 months and it was not a nice way to go for any of us. The week before she died my Wife was rushed to hospital and spent a week there. Then she had a serious/life saving operation later last year, so it was a difficult time for us all really, but the kids seemed to cope well, as I tried to keep routines, and make things fun for them while my wife was in hospital for 8 weeks.This morning I eventually got him ready, I talked about nice memories of my Mum and Dad and how they used to talk about my Son etc. and all the things they did together, we had breakfast and then I took him to school. He still insisted he didn't want to go and you could tell by looking at him he was still upset, but he went in all the same, albeit about an hour late.I'm now sitting in work wondering if we've done the right thing? Should I have kept him off and away from normal routine? I'm really not sure how to handle this going forward. We've recently been discussing going on vacation in the Summer to a place where my Parents always took me when I was a kid, perhaps that could be the trigger.. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/380XSPw

No comments:

Post a Comment