Thursday 27 February 2020

My daughter made a racist comment about her own race when talking about boys with friends.


My daughter is 12 and had a sleepover last weekend. I wasn't hovering but our home is small and there isn't much privacy. I guess tween girls forget this because they had a lot of conversations with very little volume control. Some of these convos were about boys. I am not worried. My daughter will be 13 in May. I know boy talk is normal at this age.A specific boy was mentioned. It should be noted that this boy is a friend of my daughter's and one of the few kids in the entire middle school that shares my daughter's racial background. I am guessing that is why the girls, who were al white, linked him to my daughter. My daughter made a very nasty and racist comment about his race. I will not say exactly what she said but she used a slur. It was along the lines of, "Eww. Are you kidding? I would never date a (insert racial slur)." The other girls laughed and one said that she was the same race. My daughter said she was but she wasn't one of them. It was shocking and I damn near ran into the room and kicked all of them out. I refrained from doing that and have yet to address it because I don't know what to say. I don't want my daughter to feel like she is being spied on. I wasn't trying to overhear but I couldn't help it. I also have no clue what to even say. Obviously it was wrong but maybe she is struggling too? I don't think she ever said anything to this boy and still has hung out with him since but never with her other friends. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2wRERlH

No comments:

Post a Comment