Friday 28 February 2020

My daughter's (15f) brother (in his 20s) may have attempted suicide.


I will apologize up front because I am not a great story teller and my brain is pulling me in 1000 different directions right now. Also I'm not looking for up votes here, just trying to vent a little bit and also some advice would be appreciated.I little background, When I entered in a relationship with my ex, she had a 8 year old boy. About a year later we my daughter was born. Our relationship lasted about 5-6 years and we decided to part ways. During the time that we spent together I tried to be the best example that I could for a teenager boy. Never got drunk, no drugs, went to college full time and also had a job, took him to concerts and other social events. Well the point that I'm trying to make is that I treated him as one of my own. After I separated from his mom I moved to a different state because of work. I am one of the worst people when it comes down to keeping in contact and that included him.Jump forward to last week. I got a message from my daughter saying that her brother was hospitalized. I asked her why, and she was not able to provide any details. So I text my ex, she calls me back and when considering everything that she tells me it sounds like he tried to off himself. She says that he had some sort of problem at work, and that he was addicted to some prescription medication, that he was buying the pills on the "street". She had to take him to the hospital because he couldn't sleep, was hallucinating, and speaking gibberish. The hospital ran blood test and from what I understand his kidneys were failing. Which leads me to believe that the pills he was using were opioids, I heard somewhere that opioid abuse can lead to kidney failure. I asked her if he did this to himself and she said yes, but given that my question could be considered a little ambiguous I'm not 100% sure that it was a suicide attempt. It sure sounds like that to me.Earlier today I was able to contact him because the hospital had taken his cell phone away. I had a conversation with him and he sounded like he is really positive. However I have this feeling that he was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear. It was almost as if I was speaking to a sales person who is desperate to make a sell. He was providing more information that was required to properly answer a question. I don't know, I cannot shake the feeling.Right now I'm not sure how to approach the subject with my daughter and with him. I did let them both know that I am always available and that they can contact me anytime for any reason. I'm also making an effort to be better at keeping in contact and calling them more. I want to help them moving forward the best I can.Now if you guys would indulge me a little bit, I'm not sure what is my approach here, when it come to him am I supposed to be the tender love and care guy, or more of a though love kind of guy?Thanks in advance,u/rios_635 via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3aitrGf

No comments:

Post a Comment