Tuesday 25 February 2020

3 Year Old Getting Pushed by Friend


My 3 year old son is constantly getting pushed by his best friend, a 3 year old girl who I’ll call Allison.Myself and her mother are best friends and both SAHMs so we get together weekly so not having the two kids play together is not an option. Besides, my son enjoys seeing her even though she does push.A little background: our toddlers have known each other since practically birth. They are best buds and very affectionate when not arguing. They are 3 weeks apart, so thinking of them as close siblings or twins explains the dynamic of their relationship. Allison is definitely the more intense one. She loves hard, plays hard, and tantrums hard. My son is very mellow and easygoing. So obviously Allison is the more “dominant” one. I chalk it up to inborn personality with some parenting style affecting behavior.My friend insists that Allison only behaves this way with my son and plays better with her other friends. She has expressed concern that her daughter is pushing my son just because she can get away with it. She does play better when they are in “neutral territory” rather than her or my house.We have tried separating them, Allison getting a timeout, Allison putting away her favorite toys before my son comes over, talking to Allison, yelling at Allison, having my son tell her to stop (we have a no hitting friends policy until he is older and has better judgement), and separating the two.We have both intervened each time she pushes or says “mine!” so she knows we are watching her behavior. I tend to take a gentle parenting approach and my friend tends toward authoritarian parenting and neither approach seems to affect her behavior when talked to.Any advice on things we can try as parents to help them learn some conflict resolution skills or help Allison stop pushing? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3a4lXX2

No comments:

Post a Comment