Wednesday 26 February 2020

Having the sex talk with older kids. Is there anything off limits or lines that shouldn't be crossed?


I feel like there is so much information for having the sex talk with younger kids but less is out there about sex talks with older kids. My kids are 20, 18, and 15.My 20 year old called me last weekend after a date. She was frustrated that the guy she went out with expected sex after and was ranting about how annoying it is to find a guy who seems so nice but when you don't take him back to your room to have sex they ghost you. I was sharing my own stories to try and related to her. I didn't get too graphic but talked about how I experienced the same exact thing and how pushy some people can be about it.My 18 and 15 year olds are both boys and they were around when I was Facetiming my daughter so we talked about it a little after. After some discussion I flat out asked the boys if they were sexually active. The 18 year old said he was and the 15 year old said he wasn't. I figured the older one was. He has been dating his girlfriend since the summer and I know how young romance goes. He said they use protection and had sex for the first time on Christmas Eve. He offered that information. I didn't ask.I talked to my husband about it later that night. I casually asked if he knew our 18 year old was sexually active. He said he figured as much and asked how I knew for sure. I told him our son told me and he thought it was a little weird for a boy to be that open with his mother about his sex life. Am I crossing some line or boundary here? I wouldn't have pressed if my son was uncomfortable but he offered up details and didn't seem bothered by the conversation. Are there really some things that should be unmentionables when discussion sex? Should it all be talked about it hypotheticals? My husband and I both grew up in households that never talked about sex. He is from a strict "premarital sex is a sin" Catholic family and my mom once made me wash my mouth out with soap when I said the word 'rape' as a kid so I am not sure where the normal line is. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/380JW8k

No comments:

Post a Comment