Sunday 31 March 2019

Single mom basically raising my niece and resenting the parents.


I am a single mother of a 12 year old. I recently moved in with my dad to help him as he’s going through a divorce and he’s up in age (71) so managing a household is not is thing at all. Let me explain the situation with my niece. My brother has 2 kids, boy 13 and girl 11. He always favored John over Jane. Me and my mom started to get her as a kid which forced my brother to be around her. Over the last 2 years I found out my niece was basically living w one of her classmates bc mom changed her work shift and could no longer take Jane to school. Brother also can’t take her bc he has to be to work at 6a. I found out bc she was coming to my house every weekend and of course I ask a lot of questions. Also learned she had no bed to sleep in, so she was sleeping on couch, inflatable bed, floor or with the grandmom. Told brother and he said he’ll keep her during the week which really meant I would keep her. It was never a consistent thing. He was supposed to pick up her from school everyday but he wasn’t. He would tell mom to get her which in turn makes mom say, you know what I’ll keep her but moms “I’ll keep her” means Jane will go back to staying w classmate and her family.Ok, let me find a way to get to the point. I would rather her stay with me but parents don’t want to relinquish rights nor do they help me when she’s with me. She’s been with me for about 2-3 weeks now. Mom was paying the classmates family but she gives me nothing! Doesn’t ask me how she’s doing, if she needs anything NOTHING. She does call Jane but she should be asking me how things are. I am basically her mother. Feed her dinner, take her to school, homework, hair, laundry, lunch, shower, bedtime, advice, love. Dad will pick her up for school a few times a week and bring her right to me around 6.So they both want to be her parents in name and authority but they literally do nothing. I really resent them both and don’t know how to continue being there for my niece while having to interact with them. They’re both deadbeats. Oh and my brother pays her Childsupport.TLDR: I take care of my brothers daughter. Both parents are able-bodied but they do nothing. I resent them and don’t know how to manage my resentment. I want to keep her with me and parents to provide more support emotionally and financially but I don’t know how to approach it with them w/o them pulling her away from me. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2YEMHZp

No comments:

Post a Comment