Saturday 30 March 2019

Is TOO much independent play a thing?


My daughter is 2 years old (will be 3 in July). She has always been independent. She was content lying on her activity mat at 4 weeks old for 15-20 minutes, just staring at the toys above her.At childcare, most of the kids are currently in the stage of parallel play but many of them do play with each other. Most of them try to get my daughter to play with them but usually, she’s uninterested and wants to do her own thing.She is in the process of being evaluated for autism (early intervention once a week), so that could possibly play a role. I just worry because I see other parents who are able to play imaginary games with their toddlers and mine will stare at me and go do something else if I try to engage (build blocks next to her, draw next to her, put on a silly hat, etc.).I love that I can get chores done while she plays and sometimes, she does want to help me with chores! My dad told me not to worry and when he was 2 (1950’s), his mom just put him outside all day to play with his sisters and neighbor friends and they were allowed in for lunch and dinner. My parents did play with me (1990’s) but I also remember playing on our farm by myself or with siblings while the parents were inside.I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has a toddler who can do their own thing all day long. Also wondering if autism could play a role in her independence. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2YCYTK1

No comments:

Post a Comment