Friday 29 March 2019

How to tell my kindergarten son his "girlfriend" from school is in a coma.


My son is the youngest in his class. He wears glasses and he likes some very traditionally non-gender appropriate things like unicorns and painted fingernails. As a result, he doesnt have a lot of friends at school.The two friends he does have he talks about all the time. One boy who he says is his best friend and a girl who he claims is his girlfriend. After Valentines day we took the valentine from her and taped it to his bedroom door.We learned today she was in a terrible accident where she got hanged on her swingset and is in a coma. She's been resuscitated twice already. Knowing nothing else about the situation, I have no idea if she has any chance of living or coming out of the coma. This week is spring break for us so we haven't missed her at school yet.So how do I tell my son about it? Should I give him the full picture right now? Should I wait a bit until the medical outcome is more certain? Do I leave out details of the accident?If you go in for enneagram stuff, we suspect our son is a 7. So he does not like dealing with uncomfortable emotions. He will get up and walk away from difficult emotional conversations and then does not want to talk about it later. It happened the other day when we had to tell him the family we're good friends with were moving away. So if anyone has experience with that let me know. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2FAGMvM

No comments:

Post a Comment