Friday 29 March 2019

How can I stop torturing myself over lost time with son in his first year and fears over delays?


I feel like a terrible parent no matter what I do. I do lots with my son when I am not working, but when I am working he is with my partner or mom. He's 16 months and just learning to walk, walks great with a walker or holding his hand but not tooling around on his own quite yet. He says Mama, dada, baba, kitty, and a few other words but with less regularity. He also understands lots of words, gestures to things that interest him, and responds to simple requests like "bring me the __." I think he's actually doing fine and his pediatrician has no concerns. However, he is a bit late on language and walking as far as I can tell from what I have read. I attribute this to the fact that he probably watched 1-3 Disney or Pixar movies daily from around 5 months onward. My mother claims we all watched that much tv as babies too and sees no problem, and my partner thinks warnings about too much tv are bs. Although I have finally convinced them both to stop putting on movies and play, read, talk with him instead while I am working, I'm terrified of possible long-term repercussions of his first year watching all that tv. I wake up in the middle of the night (just like I am now) worried sick, googling studies, looking for reassurance, and ultimately end up crying myself to sleep feeling alone and like a terrible parent. I'm in therapy now and working on going easier on myself, but I don't know if this is something I can go easier on myself about. I can't get that time back and change how he spent his time. I can only wonder if he might have been damaged by it or if he will have lifelong issues as a result. I'm going a little crazy here and no idea what to do. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2UhgjfV

No comments:

Post a Comment