Saturday 30 March 2019

Grandparent trying to parent my child... help?


My mother, mid-sixties, is over-involved in my daughter’s [10] life. I’ve tried setting boundaries around my personal life with her (I spend zero time with her outside of transporting my daughter to & fro her house) and would prefer my daughter didn’t spend as much time with her, but they’re close & daughter enjoys their time together when she’s not complaining about gma controlling her every move.I got a text tonight asking how “we” were going to manage my “getting too obese” daughter who is six pounds overweight. She is in the 91st percentile for her height/age. She is medium-active but a grazer/snacker like her father.Her father, (we’re divorced), other grandmother, & I are obese, but I’ve set a better example by not having sugary drinks or unhealthy snacks in the house. Also, I’m dieting have lost 20 pounds & plan to lose more. And I had a good track record of being physically active until the last year or so. They do not set a good example & are likely big enablers of bad eating habits.So basically I feel like she’s blaming me with this “we” talk when I’m not guilty. And also fretting about something that is none of her business. She has a long history of undermining my parenting and my child’s fathers parenting as well.How do I tell my mother that this requires zero intervention on her part? And that if she starts her historic patterns if shaming, manipulative behaviors & comments, that I will restrict her time with my daughter? I don’t want my child absorbing grandmothers shittyness.Clearly I want to be “nice” and “respectful” but also get a clear message across for her to butt out.Thanks. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2FKfCns

No comments:

Post a Comment